link to dddesigns

link to dddesigns
Would you like to see some more art? Just click on my tab and go to DD Designs.

My awesome blogging friends Who will be # 130?

Tuesday, February 22, 2011


 Preparation for KK's Birthday party




Some of you read my story on Kathy's' upcoming party
If you haven't, you can,  by clicking the words in blue above. 

 I flew to KC to get ready with the help of our other sisters Ann, of tin and sparkle and Lori who live there. Ann has posted pictures of the tables and food.

I took all my cake decorating stuff on the plane (yes they did check my baggage...I had a full bad of raspberry filling and lots of metal in my suitcase)

The bottom layer was a rich chocolate. Then I piped an icing dam to hold in the filling. 
 Ann helped me put the second layer a yellow cake on top.  

I then did a thin layer of buttercream icing to "dirty ice" the whole cake and put it in the fridge. I also baked a 13x9 chocolate cake and froze it.  When it was frozen I cut it in 5", 4" 3" and 2" strips.  using the same dam and raspberry filling I stacked them all.  After they were frozen I shaped the smaller  cake at angles to the shape I wanted for a purse then dirty iced and refroze it.  
We took both cakes to Missouri where the party was, to finish. 
The picture below is in the kitchen of the hall that our 
double-cousin Sheila owns, which she let us use for the party.

I used fondant and brown Wiltion food coloring to marble for the "leather" purse.   I found a Silver K for the front.  The coupons and sheet music on the cake were printed on editable paper with edible ink at a cake supply store.

KK loves to cut coupons and recipes and she loves to sing.

We had lots of balloons and LB made a great centerpiece using a word search puzzle she made using words that described things KK loves, like shopping, bingo, church and Wal-marts.

There were lots of tears and laughter as people shared what KK meant to them.


We had a special table just for the cake and 
ice-cream which we pre scooped and had in cupcake holders.

What fun we had blessing this special sister for her 60th birthday.

3 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my, how pretty and such fun I so admire the talent that you can make such a fabulous looking cake. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Kathy@ Gone North said...

Wow! What a pretty,pretty, creative cake!! A sweet, sweet gesture from sisters who know her so well.
And I bet your mom was in heaven, having her girls together to celebrate.
Just too special!!!!
Thanks for sharing your celebration.

Ann said...

Oh Wow, I love your new header. So pretty how you incorporated the purple and your outfit. Just gorgeous. I don't know why the pictures are blurry....do you want me to e-mail a few to you?
Hugs
Ann