link to dddesigns

link to dddesigns
Would you like to see some more art? Just click on my tab and go to DD Designs.

My awesome blogging friends Who will be # 130?

Friday, March 28, 2014

Ephesus

Ephesus

One of the major stops on our cruise was a day in Turkey.  Our group hired a private driver and guide for the day.  It was a beautiful warm day.  Our first stop was the chapel and home that is believed to be where the Mother Mary of Jesus spent her last days.  At the cross Jesus told John to take care of his mother.  It is believed he took her to Ephesus.

  Anne Catherine Emmeraich, was a Augustinian nun who lived in Germany from 1774-1824.  Throughout her life, Emmerich had many visions about the life of Christ and Mary.  A German poet Clemens von Brentano spent five years working closely with Emmerich, recording the details of her visions.  She never left Germany but described the location and appearance of a small isolated house near Ephesus, where she said Mary lived and died. In 1891, a research team followed the path describe in Emmerich's visions and discovered this house which matched her descriptions.


There is a well there that many believe the water to contain healing powers.  There is also a pray wall that many visitors write their prayers on paper and put into the cracks of the stone wall.

Personally I believe Mary was blessed to be honored to give life to Jesus but not to the point of her having special powers.



A few miles down the road is the city of Ephesus.

Maybe you have read some of the letters written to the church of Ephesus in the Bible.  I never knew how enormous the city would have been.  Only 20% of the city has been excavated so you can tell from some of the photos how large it must have been.



Ephesus was an important center for Early Christianity for AD 50's.  Paul lived there working with the congregation and organizing missionary work.

During those years the Romans ruled and Christianity was actually against the law.  The Ephesians who were Christians used a secret code to allow others to know where they lived and the businesses they owned.  The circle was carved into the stone walks and into walls.  I'm not sure how "secret" they could have kept this sign. 
The guide explained the circle had all the letters of the name of Christ in the circle.
  

Some of the amazing carvings that have been discovered.




These cities were so modern.  The aquaducts carried in the water to the city.  Even the toilets had running water to flush out the waste. 
 Oh and this one I think we need, they had music playing to cover the sounds.  


We see how the wealthy lived in many of the beautiful homes that have been excavated.  The beautiful tile work in the floors and beautiful fresco work on the walls.
The homes had forced cool and hot air!








The amphitheater



Patty and I


One of the roads in Ephesus.  

After our tour we went to a traditional outdoor Turkish meal.  
The food was wonderful and plentiful.  



We toured where this same family has women who weave beautiful carpets out of silk.  They showed us how they soak the silkworm and then harvest it.



When asked which city we enjoyed visiting the most, Ephesus was definitely  our favorite.
Hope you enjoyed the visit.

Linking with

12 comments:

Annesphamily said...

What a wonderful tour1 Some very wonderful photos and your story of the trip is very interesting. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your weekend. Hugs, Anne

White Lace and Promises said...

Wow! How incredible to have walked with the saints of the Early Church walked and to sit where Mary must have set. My parents when to the Holy Land years ago. It was a dream of a lifetime. I'm so glad they got that experience. Thanks for sharing.

Ann said...

Deb, I think this city is the most fascinating you have shown. Oh I't so incredible what they created and the house of Mary's is beautiful. You have lots of blue--you should link up with blue monday.
Love - your big sissy

SmilingSally said...

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for sharing these blues. I feel as if I was there with you.

I agree with you about Mary.

Have a Happy Blue Monday!

Patti said...

Thanks for stopping by over at One Road at a Time and for posting a comment. It looks as if you really had a grand visit to Ephesus and your photos are terrific. Turkey is on my list of places in the world I'd like to visit.

Fun60 said...

I visited Ephesus in the mid seventies and was enthralled by the scale of it. Thank you so much for sharing these photos and allowing me to relive some of those memories.

Mary {The World IS A Book} said...

Ephesus looks amazing. I didn't realize there was such a connection to Mary and the saints. What a great port to spend the day.

Lady of the Manor said...

What a great tour! I'd like to visit Ephesus one day, too! Thanks for sharing your photos with us!

Linda said...

Wow! They were quite advanced!

Unknown said...

"The Paint Splash" has been included in Tuesday's Sites To See for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2014/04/tuesdays-sites-to-see_15.html

Louisette said...

I remmeber this nice place,have a nice day

SuzanneS said...

What a great post! It is such a beautiful place! Both of my children have been there. Loved your photos. I just learned that you have my website icon on your blog! I am thrilled and honored! Thank you! I am working on a "Blogs I love page"I will most certainly include you.